Children's Author Laila Heloua, S.O.S. Mom Collaborator

Thursday, May 3, 2012
Laila Heloua was born in Alexandria, Egypt, and immigrated to Canada when she was 2 years-old. After studying communication and linguistics, she worked in a company before opening her own company specializing in event planning. Then she helped found the “Club Des Mordus Du Chocolat”. This journey lead her to a passion for food, passion she has at heart to pass on to children.

As an S.O.S. Mom collaborator, Laila will be offering you various children book reviews accompanied by giveaways. There is no doubt in my mind that she will be bringing you the best for your children of all ages! She is unequivocally a great author with amazing talent and an overall warm and charming personality. I would like Laila to do the honours of introducing herself along with her unique and fabulous children books.


"Writing for children had been lingering on my mind for several years and it is a writing contract with illustrations for a client that became the trigger. I first created Tangerine, a little girl with red skin all rosy. She is perky and cheerful. She wears clothes that evokes her name and there are always one to several ladybugs on her. Then her brother, Kiwi, rather olive-skinned type. He is a playful boy and a little clumsy. His hair is closely cropped, his clothes have a texture suggestive of his name and we never see him without his furry friend, a small worm. In contrast, their father is red headed while their mother is tanned. Thus, without saying more about their origins, we understand implicitly that they are from different backgrounds. In fact, the characters of mixed race Tangerine and Kiwi are a reality increasing in the world. They represent a typical family dynamics in their research of activities challenging and rewarding for all. I wrote in a few weeks 10 stories for children 3 to 9 years of age. My characters goe with their parents to the discovery of food, learn where it comes from and how it is transformed. Each of my albums explores a place, a job, and one food. Until the project to publish my albums happen, I decided to go further and enter the lives of children."

"Since 2001, I have been giving workshops on the awakening of taste in elementary schools, early childhood centers and libraries, with my characters Tangerine and Kiwi. I meet children from 4 to 9 years old. I explore with them the five senses and all the related vocabulary. I choose to talk about food, because I think it's one of the best ways to reach children, regardless of their origin. Reading about food is like opening a door on the eating habits of the family, country of origin and host countries. The integration into the host country requires, among other things, its culture and habits. And, in my opinion, it always encourages the exchange and understanding, even when the children come from elsewhere. In each of my interventions, I want to encourage access to the rich culinary heritage and ensure that the young generation preserve vitality." 


You can follow Laila on Twitter, or get the news on Tangerine & Kiwi here.
Visit the Cheese Maker
The first in a series of unique picture books about curious siblings Tangerine and Kiwi who love to learn about food. Visit the Cheese Maker features a trip to the dairy farm, an explanation of how cheese is made, and a kid-friendly recipe for fondue. 


Visit the Apple Orchard
Join Tangerine and Kiwi as they visit an apple orchard and learn how apples grow. The latest in a series of unique, informative picture books, Tangerine and Kiwi is a terrific way for beginning readers to learn where their food comes from. Plus, readers can try a delicious, kid-friendly recipe for apple crisp.


Visit the Sugar Bush
Join Tangerine and Kiwi as they visit a sugar bush and learn how maple syrup is made. A series of unique, informative picture books, Tangerine and Kiwi is a terrific way for beginning readers to learn where their food comes from. Plus, readers can try a delicious, kid-friendly recipe for pancakes — topped with maple syrup, of course.


Visit the Bread Baker
Join Tangerine and Kiwi as they visit their grandfather’s bakery and learn how bread is made. The fourth in a series of unique, informative picture books, Tangerine and Kiwi is a terrific way for beginning readers to learn where their food comes from. Plus, readers can try baking bread using Grandpa’s delicious, kid-friendly recipe to bake bread.



3 Fabulous Comments:

Meagan said...

These books look adorable!! I'm always looking for cute new kids books - thanks for introducing me to these ones :)

LOVE MELISSA:) said...

I want to get these books. They look adorable!

East9thStreet said...

I love the theme of these books! My toddler loves to cook/bake with me and I know she would enjoy these books.

Post a Comment